Thursday 10 July 2014

D.I.Y | Indoor Herb Garden


For my Uni Assignment, I had to think of an product design using a recyclable material that can be used in a residential or commercial space. The materials I could choose from was; Aluminium, Glass, Wood (soft or hard) and Cement. So I embarked on designing a indoor glass jar herb garden using recyclable glass jars. So unique right? I'm happy to report that all the plants are alive and thriving well. Since the glass jars don't have natural drainage, I had to include stones and charcoal on the bottom to help create "drainage" on the inside of the jar.  


Materials Needed: 

- 2 or 4 Glass Jars 
- Soil 
- Italian Herbs (Chives, Parsley,  Oregano and Thyme)
- 2 or 4 Jar Holders
- Water 
- Stones
- Charcoal 

Here are the steps of a D.I.Y Indoor Herb Garden; 


1. Place 1" of stones in the bottom of the glass jars. After adding the stones, place 1/2" of charcoal to the bottom of the glass jars. Then add the soil. 


2. Add the herbs to the glass jars and water them, and voila! Your glass jars are now completed. *Happy dance* You can place your herb glass jars anywhere you like, just remember to keep watering them and label them so you know which plants you've planted! 






SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I have to try this, It looks so nice.
    http://beautyfineprint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must give this one a try.... It looks awesome... Can increase the look of the home or office....

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig